When looking for a functional trainer, also known as a cable machine or cable crossover machine, there are several key factors to consider. Here are some important things to look for:
- Build Quality: Opt for a functional trainer made of durable materials like steel, with sturdy construction that can withstand regular use and heavy loads. Ensure that the machine feels stable and well-built when testing it.
- Weight Stacks: Functional trainers typically use weight stacks for resistance. Check the weight stack’s capacity to ensure it meets your strength and fitness goals. Consider the increments available and whether they are suitable for your training progression.
- Cable System: Assess the cable system’s quality and functionality. Look for smooth and durable cables that move freely without any restrictions or friction. The pulley system should be robust and well-designed to allow for a wide range of exercises.
- Adjustability: A versatile functional trainer should offer various height adjustments for the pulleys and handles. This adjustability allows you to perform exercises at different angles and accommodate users of different heights and body sizes.
- Accessories and Attachments: Check if the functional trainer comes with a variety of attachments and accessories such as handles, bars, ankle cuffs, and straps. These attachments provide options for different exercises and training variations.
- Exercise Variety: Consider the range of exercises you can perform with the functional trainer. Look for a machine that allows you to target different muscle groups and perform a wide array of movements, such as pressing, pulling, rowing, and leg exercises.
- Space Requirements: Evaluate the dimensions of the functional trainer and ensure it fits your available space. Some machines have a compact design, while others may require more room due to their size or cable extension.
- User-Friendliness: The machine should be user-friendly, with clear instructions and intuitive adjustments. Look for a functional trainer that is easy to set up, adjust, and switch between exercises without excessive downtime.
- Stability and Safety Features: Safety is paramount when using any fitness equipment. Check for stability features like non-slip footplates, adjustable stabilizers, and secure cable attachments. Ensure the weight stacks have safety locks or guards to prevent accidental releases.
- Warranty and Customer Support: Review the warranty provided by the manufacturer. A longer warranty period indicates confidence in the product’s quality. Additionally, good customer support and responsive after-sales service are valuable in case you encounter any issues or have questions.
Remember to compare different brands and models, read customer reviews, and consider your specific fitness goals and budget when selecting a functional trainer.
At Fitness 4 Home Superstore, we carry a variety of functional trainers from brands including Legion Fitness Equipment, Tuff Stuff Fitness, and more. Stop into any of our three Phoenix-area locations to learn more!