Maintaining a healthy diet when you’re eating out at a restaurant or take-out establishment isn’t always easy. Sometimes it’s hard to resist the temptation of ordering anything you want off the menu! But whether you’re celebrating an event, traveling or just didn’t feel like cooking, you’ll find that most restaurants do offer healthy eating options to those who want them. You can almost always find grilled chicken, a cup or soup or a nutritious salad that will satisfy your hunger without all the calories. Some places even let you “have it your way” so you can ask for the food to be prepared to meet your dietary needs. Here’s some healthy eating tips to help you stay on your diet.
You should also watch out for “all you can eat” buffets where you may eat more than you should. And when at parties, barbeques or picnics, be sure to bring a healthy dish to share. Then you can be sure that there is something nutritious for you to eat.
In addition, here are a few more tips that will help you make healthy eating choices when you’re eating away from home:
- Avoid fried foods. Choose foods that have been baked, broiled, roasted or grilled.
- Limit your intake of bread, chips or whatever might be in the basket they give you before your meal.
- Choose light salad dressings and have them served on the side.
- Instead of an entrée, have a salad and an appetizer to help control your portions.
- If you do have an entrée, save half of it for tomorrow’s lunch.
- And if you enjoy dessert, avoid the calories and order fruit or sorbet.