This month’s fitness tip is pretty basic. If you don’t stick with your fitness program, you’ll never achieve the results you hope for.
What is the biggest roadblock to staying with your fitness program? Motivation – or more precisely, lack of motivation! So – what are some simple steps to stay motivated?
1. Set goals for yourself. Start simple. For example, if you haven’t exercised recently, you may want to start with walking or running (either outside, or on a treadmill) 10 minutes a day, 3 times per week. Then set a more intermediate goal of within 30 days, up that to 30 minutes a day, 5 times a week. Finally, set a long term goal of something like completing a 5K walk.
2. Make it part of your routine. Finding time to exercise can be hard with our busy lifestyles. So, just like you may schedule other activities in your life, make regular exercise a part of your overall schedule. And for those crazy days where it may not seem like you can fit it in – try things like choosing to take the stairs rather than the elevator, or pedal a stationary bike while watching TV at night.
3. Turn exercise into something fun! If you constantly dread your workout, you won’t do it! So – try something different. If you don’t enjoy running, try cycling. Hate aerobics? Sign up for a dance class instead!
4. Write it down! Writing your goals and workout schedule down! Then track your results. Seeing the improvement in your results over the next few weeks is a great way to keep your motivation up!
5. Finally – after every workout, reward yourself! Exercise releases “endorphins” – a feel-good hormone – take a moment to enjoy that feeling! And when you reach a longer range goal, treat yourself to something that will help keep your motivation going. For example – if you hit your goal to walk a 5K, reward yourself with a new pair of running shoes!
Latest posts by Bob Lachniet (see all)
- Beef Steak with Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Broccoli & Mushrooms - September 17, 2021
- Benefits of a Vertical Climbers - September 16, 2021
- Hit Your Fitness Goals – Additional Ways to Stay Motivated - September 15, 2021