2023 Holiday Savings from Fitness 4 Home!

How To Get The Most Out of Your Treadmill Workouts

One of the best pieces of home gym equipment is the treadmill, but do you know how to get the most out of your treadmill workouts? As the weather changes, it doesn’t matter if it’s the heat of summer, or cold of winter, sometimes the best way to get your training miles in, is to get on your treadmill and start exercising!

Yet, running indoors always seem second-best when compared to running outside. Yet, there are advantages to running on your treadmill. Unlike running outside, treatmill running sessions allow you to control your speed and incline. Try that running outside – especially when you’re pressed for time!

Running on a treadmill allows you to get the most out of your workout, without worrying about traffic, time or weather. Here’s some tips to get the most out of your indoor running sessions…

How to use a treadmill effectively

  1. Recreate pavement running – If you want to mimic outdoor running conditions more accurately, set the treadmill incline to 1-2%. Some experts also suggest running 3-6% faster on a flat belt to create a more realistic equivalent to real-world effort.
  2. Mix up your intensity – Have you heard of the 80/20 rule? It’s a great way to get the most out of your workouts. First evidenced by Dr Stephen Seiler, research also shows that splitting your weekly training so that you do 80% at an easy level (conversational pace or lower), along with the other 20% done hard at moderate to high intensity, can be the ticket to faster running.
  3. Use controlled progression – Treadmils are a great tool for those times where you’re targeting a specific goal – like targetig a certain pace, or hill reps where you’re running up a specific gradient. Treadmills are also great for progression runs, as it’s much easier to gradually increase the intensity and fine tune your efforts by upping the speed or incline.
  4. Use a Mirror – If you’re trying to work on your form while running, it can be difficult to do that running outside – but with a treadmill, by doing your training session with a mirror, you can easily observe your running technique for improvement. Plus, with fewer distractions and an even surface, it’s also a chance to focus on your stride, cadence and breathing.

And, if you’re looking to either purchase a treadmill, or upgrade your current treadmill, stop into any of Fitness 4 Home Superstore’s three Phoenix area locations, and check out our full selection of treadmills and incline trainers today!

Bob Lachniet

View posts by Bob Lachniet
Bob Lachniet is the owner of Fitness 4 Home Superstore. He has been in the fitness equipment commercial and retail sales industry for over 25 years and has been owner of Fitness 4 Home Superstore since 2005. Bob truly cares about his customers and wishes to educate them on what is the right piece of fitness equipment for their particular circumstance.
Scroll to top