If you’re looking to loose weight, keep in mind that you may not be the only one that needs to be thinking about weight loss. Doctors and psychologists have both found that family dynamics, meaning the way you and your brood interact and relate to one another, can have a major influence on weight. All too often, parents offer treats in an attempt to placate children. And, our own eating habits also can become programmed in our kids minds, subliminally teaching them how “not” to eat without realizing it. But, you can turn that around with healthy eating habits – and it’s also good to get your family involved with those changes. Not only can that keep you motivated in your own weight loss plan, but you’ll be helping them to make healthy habits as well. Here’s some tips to help your family loose weight.
Family Weight Loss Planning Tips
- Take your family grocery shopping – Taking a trip together to the store is a good way for everybody to choose healthy foods together. It can help get everybody on the same page, at the same time, in terms of making healthy food choices, rather than having someone feel like they were “forcced” into eating healthy.
- Make your meals “balanced meals” – Balanced means a healthy combination of protein, carbohydrates, and fats. There are a multitude of healthy recipes on-line. Look for recipes that are simple, such as grilled chicken, with steamed broccoli drizzled with olive oil. Recipes such as this are easy to prepare, yet provide a healthy alternative to prepackaged meals.
- Create a menu plan each week – It’s much easier to eat healthy if you already have the ingredients and a recipe in mind. If you’re trying to loose weight, preparing your meals ahead of time allows you to ensure you’re getting the right foods in the right portions at the right time, and can keep you from binge eating.
- Eat as a family when possible – With our busy schedules, it can be difficult finding time to eat together. But, when you eat together, you’re normally catching up on each other’s day. Besides being a great way to strengthen the bonds within your family, eating together forces you to slow down and eat slower. It takes time for your stomach to feel full – eating slower can help you feel full before you’ve eaten too much.
- Watch your portion size – It seems like every restaurant likes to push “bigger portions”. Oversized portions means more calories. A good rule of thumb is that when you look at your plate, fill it with aportion of protein the size of your fist, and the rest with a healthy vegetable.
- Eat Smaller Portions – By slowing down, eating smaller portions, and chewing your food longer, you actually allow digestion to start in the mouth. You actually feel full faster, and this means your likely to eat less yet still feel satisfied.
- Weight loss is more than just eating healthy – it also means exercise – Whether you’re looking at regular walks, bike rides, joining a gym, or best yet – enjoying your home gym, do it as a family. Not only do you get to spend more time with your family, you also get fit and healthy – and that extra exercise also burns calories that will help you loose weight as well!
And, if you’re looking for equipment for your home gym, visit any of Fitness 4 Home Superstore’s three Phoenix area locations for the cardio equipment, strength equipment, fitness accessories, and more – that are perfect for you and your family’s fitness goals!
Latest posts by Bob Lachniet (see all)
- Elliptical of the Month: Spirit XE295 - August 4, 2020
- Healthy Diet Plans – The Benefits of eating 1 Protein, 1 Carb and 1 Fat at Every Meal - August 3, 2020
- Healthy Breakfast – Sausage Egg Paleo Breakfast Sandwich - July 31, 2020